Thursday, November 22, 2007

Blackberry 9000 - The answer to iPhone?

I honestly can't understand the iPhone mania. Maybe my fingers are just exceptionally fat and the rest of the world happens to love the annoyingly narrow touch keyboard. I respect the attempts to create a device that will successfully converge the 3 main applications consumers are after: Voice, Email and Music. 

I remember giving the Sony-Ericsson Walkman phone a shot a couple of years ago. This was an attempt at converging Voice and Music. I was not happy. The software was clunky and the phone reacted slowly. I am convinced the iPhone is doing a better job on this front. 

However, the iPhone doesn't cut it as an email device. It is also too big in my opinion and very male oriented (I don't mean to sound sexist but how feminine is a phone of this size?). Apple might be happy with a phone that converges Music and Voice only and I am sure their stock will be as well.

In order for Apple to create a device that will successfully converge all 3 applications, it needs to do, in my humble opinion, the following:
  • Integrate with Microsoft based email application - This will not come naturally to Mr. Jobs
  • Enable a proper keyboard
  • Reduce the physical size of the phone
I think only 3 companies have a shot at this task over the next few years: Apple, Research In Motion & Microsoft. RIM is rumored to work on a next series of phones that will improve the user experience. No word on Digital Media capabilities though. 

I am still ambivilent about mobile devices as a vehicle for digital content distribution and consumption. I do believe however that volume of Business & Social related activities on these devices will increase and will command adoption of Providers and Phones.

No comments: